Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Condor Mixte Frame Cycle

This Corona Virus lock down we are going through gives the hobbyists amongst who are lucky enough to stay well a huge amount of bonus time to get on with our various projects. I've just completed this Condor Mixte Frame Tourer from the early eighties.

I've enjoyed using my Bob Jackson Super Tourist gents tourer so much I decided that Mrs M should share in the happiness. This Condor eventually turned up as a bare frame with Weinmann cantilevers fitted. As far as I can acsertain it dates from the mid eighties, I have seen similar Condor frames in the past but this one carries no frame number. To me it looks like a Vic Edwards frame - he was one of the builders Condor used during the period for their bespoke frame orders. I've built it up to be an upright comfortable ride that will hopefully be easy and fun to use.

It has taken a little while to complete as for me part of the challenge of a build like this is to use as many second hand parts as possible. To that extent I've managed to only have to buy new tyres and tubes, saddle, handlebars and gear levers. The bars I struggled to find the right bend in second hand, thumb shifters are tough to source in good condition and of high quality used and, as for the saddle, I felt like a good used Brooks ladies would be just the ticket but she wanted some extra padding.

The great thing about bicycle projects at the moment is that you can actually get out and test your handiwork as daily exercise.

Early eighties Condor Mixte.

Weinmann cantilevers came with the frame.

Leftover Brooks leather bar tape was used as grips and corks
as disposable bar plugs.

The frame is Reynolds 531ST. ST was the tubing Reynolds made
aimed at touring bikes.

Mixte frames are pretty and the best way to make
a ladies cycle.

1 comment: