Saturday, January 12, 2019

Grandad's C12

Not a lot to add to this snap from a family album other than the bike is a BSA C12 and on reverse is written 'Grandad'.

Nice pannier set on Grandad's BSA C12 but the
photographer needed to think about light and shadow
a little more! 
Errata: thanks to Ken Bryant for putting me right on the model. This is in fact a C11G - the C12 had a swinging arm frame and the bike in the picture clearly has a plunger frame. The post war pre-unit C model designations were as follows: C10 - sv motor, rigid frame. C10L - sv motor, plunger frame. C11 - ohv motor, rigid frame. C11G - ohv motor plunger frame. C12 - ohv motor, swinging arm frame.

2 comments:

  1. Nov 1953 reg no makes this a C11G, note plunger rear end.
    The C11/2 series were great little bikes with a big heart. much underated, and what I wish I had bought for my first bike, instead of a tart of a Royal Enfield.
    I still have a C12 in the shed. The one above looks to be well cared for, mudguard flap, dual seat, and fort he mirror fetish-ist, a rear view mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ken. Thanks for putting me right on the model. I really do seem to have a bit of a block on recognising C series BSA models. Seems like they were popular bikes back in the day but the survival rate is fairly poor. I've never tried one, will have to put it on the to do list...

    ReplyDelete