Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Be-tassled Indian 741

I think this photo is from the seventies when an Indian 741 was already collectable rather than from the time it would have had to earn its living. I'm fairly sure I recognise the actual bike as it has stirred a few memories: I remember as a child going round local steam fairs and seeing this bike. The chap who owned it was a ruddy faced gent, I think of travelling folk origin and he always wore a traditional Dorset smock and a floppy leather hat. This particular Indian I believe was his as it is a standard ex-WD 741 but for a civilian paint scheme (his was bright red - hard to tell in black and white but could an Indian be any other colour?), big tank transfers, knobbly tyres and leather tassles on the saddle and bar ends. My memories are from 30 or more years back, I dare say the gent himself may have passed but I wonder where the bike is now?

Indian 741 stirs memories....

4 comments:

  1. Proof that if you put lipstick on a pig its still a pig.!!
    He didn't go round corners on those tyres .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really don't like Indian 741s do you! I nearly bought a motor a while back that I was thinking about putting in to BSA heavyweight plunger running gear. I understand that the performance is ok if you bore out to 600 and do some simple tuning. Mind I met a guy recently who had a Harley WL motor in a BSA A10 frame and it seemed like a good way of halving the speed of the bike.
      I think the only corners this particular 741 saw were whilst going around the arena of steam fairs!

      Delete
  2. No I cannot see the attraction of these bikes at all or any American bike, I'd give garage room to an early Henderson four maybe. There was a guy in Holland, 1970's, grafted Matchless top ends to a WD Harley bottom which made a useful bike. [I have not forgotten those Indian adverts I promised

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I largely share your views on American bikes. They were innovators in the veteran period and there were many nice machines of the vintage era but soon after that they somehow lost their way. As they say though, don't knock it until you try it and as I have never ridden an American machine from the classic or vintage era if there is anyone out there willing to give a test ride I'll be more than happy to oblige!

      Delete