Monday, August 14, 2017

Royal Enfield Continental GT Gander and Gray Gannet Special

1965 Royal Enfield Gannet Special. A stunning looking bike.

Back in the mid sixties the Royal Enfield Continental GT was the weapon of choice for the learner rider with ample readies in their wallet. The Continental GT was the fastest bike in its class and achieved some success in production racing. If you wanted to individualise your ride there were catalogues of goodies available from two London dealers - Deeprose Brothers and Gander and Gray. For the enthusiast with deeper pockets Gander and Gray offered a full machine, all singing, all dancing and fitted with every one of their special options straight from the showroom floor. This machine was offered as the 'Gannet Special' and it is one of these that Peter Collier has been lucky enough to come across.

Peter mailed with a few pictures of his Gannet Special in the hope that someone out there might have some further info on either the model in general or perhaps even his machine in particular (it was originally registered GLW 63C). If you do know more please contact via the blog - reddevilmotors@gmail.com or make a comment at the bottom of the page.

Learner rider fantasy material back in the sixties!

Peter has penned a few words about his bike:

"During the 1960s two London dealers were heavily involved in the 250cc Royal Enfield. Deeprose Brothers had produced goodies for the Crusader but it was Gander and Gray from Manor Park who produced a special version of the Continental GT christened the Gannet. Engine modifications included a ported cylinder head with large inlet port, larger carburettor, a 10:1 piston and lead bronze big – end shells. On the outside there was a racing type single seat saddle, fibre glass tank, swept back Goldie style exhaust and silencer. To finish it off the bikes were fitted with alloy wheels and a full race fairing and matching fibre glass battery cover.

This one had remained in a private collection for over twenty years until Peter Collier purchased it in 2016. Last licensed for the road in 1990, it was rolled out this summer. It certainly goes! It’s first major outing with be at the Kop Hill Climb in Buckinghamshire over the weekend of 16th & 17th September. There is more information on www.facebook.com/GannetSpecial

The owner is anxious to obtain any information on these bikes and in particular, this one."

Related literature:

At an event in France, where the Gannet Special now resides. The
bike found a new fan!


15 comments:

  1. Was probably built by my father who worked there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good bit of family history. Bet there are some great stories from those times.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Its Peter here, the owner of this Gannet Special. I know this is ages after your post but I’m hoping that this still gets through to you. Is there any chance that we could speak about your father working at G&G? I can be contacted at pgc1@btinternet.com

      Delete
  2. We've got a 1971 Gannet booked in for our classic bike show at Ardingly, West Sussex on Sunday 27th October 2019. More details on www.elk-promotions.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie. Hope the show goes well. Have never made it over myself but I've heard good reports. Can't make it in a fortnight but perhaps the next one. Cheers, Richard

      Delete
  3. I heard there is a 610.kit available for the 535 continental does anyone know of this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You heard right. It is offered by Hitchcocks but is currently out of stock: https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/LONG-STROKE-CRANKSHAFTS/21608

      Delete
  4. I lived in Manor Park and remember Gander and Gray well, also Atkinsons at East Ham opposite the town hall. I was too poor to own one of their beautiful machines, when I did scrape together enough it was a 650 pre-unit Triton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the memories. The Gander & Gray machines were very nice but surely a 650 Triton had more street cred?

      Delete
  5. Hi there im jack grays grandson of gander and gray
    I remember grandad selling a gannet perhaps your one in the early nineties
    I remember him telling me about it being a prototype and it got its name from his nickname as a kid apparently he was always hungry (a real gannet appetite)
    Its great to see a picture of it im sure my father would know a lot more about it
    Grandad built bikes in his shed untill he died of old age 21 odd years ago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. replying on behalf of Peter as I believe a notification will be sent this way
      _____________________

      That is a fantastic post. Since this first post I have discovered that the bike was owned by G&G and raced by Chas Mortimer in the 1967 500 mile Grand Prix d’Endurance. It was 6th! It would be great if I could speak with you or your father as I am gradually building up some history of the bike. I can be contacted via pgc1@btinternet.com
      Your post has made my day!

      Delete
    2. I remember your grandad very well. At the time I owned a model G and went to him for bits and pieces. I remember him towering over me with his white hair and I was a spotty faced 17 year old. Always a gentleman and all round good due.As the saying goes, he had forgotten more stuff than I'll ever know does spring to mind. The old timers built the industry which we older kids now sadly lament. Stay well!
      Jonesy.

      Delete
  6. That is a fantastic post. Since this first post I have discovered that the bike was owned by G&G and raced by Chas Mortimer in the 1967 500 mile Grand Prix d’Endurance. It was 6th! It would be great if I could speak with you or your father as I am gradually building up some history of the bike. I can be contacted via pgc1@btinternet.com
    Your post has made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi All, does anyone on here heard of a June Rainbird. She worked at Gander and Gray from 1958 for 20 years or so !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Or June Bentley once married to Ken !

    ReplyDelete