Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Royal Enfield J2 and the benefits of club membership

I passed my J2 on to a new home a little while back now. I had been wanting to find out more of its history for ages but the decision to re-home it spurred me on to find out more about the bike before it went.

I wrote the below before the bike went to its new home but for some reason didn't get round to pressing publish and then somehow forgot about it. Anyway, it is found now and the time is ripe to publish. 

Motorcycling is by its very nature often a solitary activity. I love to ride a bike solo through the countryside and being in to vintage bikes I'm accustomed to spending many happy hours (and some darned frustrating ones) alone in the workshop, however clubs are the heart and soul of the bike movement and the below demonstrates just how helpful they can be. You might, or might not notice a new section on the right hand column with a list of links to motorcycle and cycle clubs. They are all ones I am, or have been, a member of and can wholeheartedly endorse. If you have a club you recommend send the link in and it will be included.
____________________________________  



Of course it is always a good thing to find out the history of your bike. With several of them in my garage I don't always get round to it. I had been wondering about the J2 for a while and when a friend came over and speculated that it was a military machine I thought I would check it out. With a manufacturing year of 1940 I had often wondered if the J2 has a service history, particularly as I originally bought it out in India.

Being a Royal Enfield Owners Club member I duly filled out their web form and had a reply within a couple of days. One more day and I was speaking to the club dating officer and getting a potted history of the bike down the phone.

Turns out that this J2 was in the last five civilian machines made before all production went over to the war effort. The bike was dispatched from Redditch to Hales Brothers in London. Hales Brothers were the export agent dealer for India. From Hales Brothers the bike was sent to Madras Motors who were the Royal Enfield import agents (and remained so up until June 1956).

A great enthusiast service and all for free. For me that totally highlights the benefits of being in a one make or old bike club.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a member of the REOC-UK and encourage all to join. Regular benefit is the club's informative and fun "The Gun" magazine. However, even if you are not a club member it is possible to get some historical information by providing information about your bike to club chairman Graham Scarth. He provides the service at no charge. Information is here.

    ReplyDelete