After posting up Part I of the Africa Bullet 'restoration' I had imagined that the next post on the subject would follow a few weeks later and detail some minor step forward with the project. Instead I spent a few weeks labouring in my mind over what colour to do the bike (should I go for the red it was before or make it easy with black) and then when I got the frame back from the powder coaters went in to a frenzy of re-assembly and here we are on Part II with the bike looking fairly up together. Don't worry though there's still a lot to do....
|Here's the offside view as it stands at the moment.|
The keen Bulleteer will spot a very unorthodox spec
for a 1955 model. In fact if I am honest only really
the frame, swinging arm, engine and gearbox are
original to the bike.
|Off-side view. The side stand is an Indian one - it|
was lying around and besides they are pretty good.
|Previously the bike was fitted with a casquette from|
an early sixties model. It didn't look quite right and
I like the appearance of the separate headlight. I scored
this Hitchcocks top yoke fairly cheap so on it went.
|To get the UCE shrouds to match to the|
earlier headlight ears I had to machine a
small aluminium adaptor.
|In for a penny in for a pound on mixing up the parts.|
I fitted a bottom yoke from an early sixties bike
as they are slightly stronger than the earlier
ones. Plus it has a steering damper. Not necessary
but it just appealed to me.