Monday, January 6, 2020

Exeter Trial 2020

After an involuntary break from long distance trials (due to work - boo!) I was scheduled to be at home for the 2020 Exeter.

The entry form duly went in and plans were made to prep the Yamaha to pop its trials cherry. As they say to fail to prepare is to prepare to fail and I really did set myself up for a no start. I thought I would have plenty of time to sort the bike out over Christmas but I had underestimated the time that would be taken up with familial duties. The Yamaha AG has some wiring peculiarities introduced by owners over the years, I thought that a couple of evenings would be enough to sort them out. Very much not so. I ended up getting the bike mot'd the day before the trial and the best I could do was to get the horn and stop light working so it scraped through a daylight mot.

Normally a daylight mot would spell disaster for a long distance trial but our merry band had entered the day trial with a start at the Crealy breakfast stop and missing out the night sections. Fortuitous as it turned out.

Somehow it felt a bit of a cop out turning up to start the trial whilst the majority of competitors had been on the road all night and were taking the opportunity of the enforced hour break at Crealy for a power nap. However the difference for me in doing the day trial is one day away from home versus three so it really does make it a lot more accessible for those with families and or a busy work life.

Yamaha AG200 at the top of the first section. Matt and Dan
with the Ariel outfit in the background.

The first section on the day trial was Tillerton Steep and I was surprised how easily the little Yamaha rode up it. Mind, up until now I have been used to competing on a road going Enfield Bullet.

And a full view of Matt's rigid Ariel outfit. It's definitely of
'the right stuff'.

All went well up until Simms. Weighed down by two portions of cake prepared by the wonderful ladies at Islington village Parish Hall I approached with too much confidence and too little speed. The re-start was easy, I cleared the slippery slabs but by then had lost line and rode it up the bank on the steep muddy section after the slabs and came a cropper.

Rich on Beta Alp coming out of the Tillerton
Steep mudbath.

Confidence knocked I then fluffed the next section, Tipley Hill, and footed. Back on form after that though and the last section , Slippery Sam, was a clean.

One section down and here's my boot. And that's with keeping
it on the pegs throughout.

We made it to the end point in Torquay roughly on time. Sadly though no time for victory celebrations as I needed to get back to the van at Crealy before sun set. 

All in a great day's sport. The AG bike proved its mettle and didn't let me down. A big thanks to all the Marshals, helpers and organisers and I just hope it isn't such a big gap as last time until I enter the next trial.

Toby and Honda XT250.


This chap entered a Zero electric bike. Not sure
how he did.

One of several Dellows entered.

Another Dellow. Love them!

A trio of red cars at Islington Parish Hall.

MG and cat.

The approach to Simms. Fairly benign looking from this angle.

One very muddy AG200 after the last section.



No comments:

Post a Comment