Tuesday, September 19, 2017

The Arbuthnot Trial 2017

I've been meaning to ride the Salisbury Motorcycle and Light Car Club's Arbuthnot Trial for a while now and just not quite gotten round to it. Such is the pace of life that there is always something going on that weekend work or family related. The appeal of the event is that it is local and always gets a decent turn out of interesting bikes. The history of the trial dates back to the twenties and it was revived in the eighties, I have clear memories of spectating it with my dad as a child. Back in the early days of the revival the event was for rigid bikes only but as times have moved on it now embraces more recent classic machinery.

I didn't get to ride but I did drag the children along to the lunch stop at the Rushmore Golf Club and snapped a few pictures in the twenty minutes or so I was there before the girls started to complain of boredom! Here's to hoping I can manage to get an entry in for next year!

First of many Ajays.

One of several Greeves entered.

Sweet Royal Enfield Bullet. Heavily, but subtly, modified. I
recognise this machine as a regular entrant in MCC long
distance trials.

Same Enfield, different angle.

As above!

Rigid Matchless properly in the spirit of the event. Sidevalve
Triumph TRW based iron in the background.

Plenty of Ajays and Matchlesses entered.

Don't know my Norton trials bikes well enough to know if this
is a genuine 500T or a lookalike.

Norton close up.

Another AJS.

Matchless

Unit Triumph special.

And another take on the unit Triumph.

A good few Bantams entered. This one was heavily modded
but it keeps in the spirit of things nicely.

Bantam front end.

Rickman Triumph.

AJS combination.

Another Greeves.

And another Ajay!

Spectator bike. BMW R12.

This BMW R90s is heavily modified and was featured in one
of the monthly mags recently.

3 comments:

  1. A great event, I did several when it was reinstated, late 1980s...on a 350 Levis and a 350 Matchless. Both girder/rigid 1930s bikes.
    Obviously a bunch of softies this year as no girder equipped bikes to be seen? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was one girder bike rolled up just as I was leaving so it's not everyone gone soft! I remember a lot more girder bikes from spectating a few years back. There were even the likes of ex-WD M20s and 16Hs in the 'Colonial' class!

      Delete
  2. I've seen a WW2 HD with girder forks too a few years ago and it completed the circuit.

    A wonderful event.

    ReplyDelete