Saturday, April 11, 2020

Lockdown vintage cycling

With my hour a day exercise being taken up getting my two eight year old girls out in the open it was beginning to feel like I wasn't really getting that much of a workout myself. My Bob Jackson Super Tourist is a delightful cycle to ride but tracking eight years olds on a eight to ten mile ride with a snack stop at the halfway point I was beginning to feel like the whole exercise was probably a net calorie gain for me.

Inspiration struck and I dragged out the 1923 James racer. Tall fixed gearing and a feeble front brake guarantee a far greater work out for the legs. So it proved to be, not only was the ride harder work it was also far more enjoyable. You've got to make the most of what you have got and despite the many negatives of the lockdown it is a great opportunity to get out and cycle along quiet lanes and tracks. 

1923 James, surprisingly lively and comfortable.

Stopping to pick some wild garlic to have with
a salad for dinner.

Riding the James along bridleways and tracks gives some idea
of what the first owner of the cycle must have experienced
nearly 100 years ago.

Family bicycle line up.

1 comment: